Monday, July 14, 2008

Not a good idea to try to Surf on a calm Lake



The above picture would give you an idea of what Grand Lake looked like on Saturday Night. Up at the Camp, we had a Hawaiian Night theme for a dance. So most of us dressed up in Grass Skirts and Leis with coconuts for support and I had a surf Board as part of my costume. Well the Band ( I mean one guy on keyboard was playing Surfing USA by the Beach Boys. He was good by the way.) Name of the band was LODI (idol) backwards.

Well yours truly was into the Tequila with rum and beer chasers. I had a bright florescence yellow Hawaiian shirt and grass skirt, flowers in my hair with a straw hat and sun glasses. I yelled rather foolishly "Cowabunga Dude, Surfs Up". So I grabbed my surf board, I was dancing on and ran off to the rather shallow beach and jumped into the water. I hit the shore lline rather hard and smacked myself in the face with the board. With the rather heavy impact in the shallow water and the sand. Slid out a little into the lake and rolled off the surf board managed to scrape my knee and got soaked anyways. I do not think I was able to hang ten but probably a minus -11 for technique. Got a lot of laughs. Hey we are a short time living and a long time Dead. So might as well enjoy life when you can. ( what was I thinking. I wasn't)

So calm water and surfing do not mix especially when one is rather full of spirits. Hey I had another one or two ( tequila) to dull the pain ,will post a picture of what state I was in when I get one. Learned my lesson until the Halloween Dance in August. Then will try, surfing with a corn broom.




I would never try this in real life. Ya Right!!!! ;)) That depends on the number of Pina Coladas and the circumstances I guess. LOL

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha!!

You can come and try it on my beach - I live on the sea. But its as flat as a pancake. We never take the boats out of its bumpy - the sea I mean! A surfboard on its own would get many odd looks!!

Daisy said...

thank you old tarf it was lovely...you know how visual i am :)
i used to surf...many moons ago when i lived in florida...it is a blast and at the end of the day, you are good tired...and you rest well...

The Old Tarf said...

mutley- I think it is better on open water a little hard to surf on the beach. As I found out. ;))

Daisy- your more than welcome.

Trubes said...

That sounded like a fun evening Tarfers,how was your head the next day? Sore like the rest of you, I should imagine> Gave me a good laugh though.
Hey, there's nothing wrong with growing old disgracefully.

We're all missing Mermie...she must be really busy as you say.

Di.xx

The Old Tarf said...

trubes- MY Mom always said " i would always act my shoe size and not my real age." You know she was right. Thanks Mom.